Read about our priority bills for the 2022 Legislative Session:
- H.1378/S.886 An Act Enabling Local Options for Tenant Protections: would lift the statewide ban on rent control and allow cities and towns to adopt local regulations such as rent control, rent grievance, and just cause for evictions. Fact sheet here!
- H.4229 An Act to Restore Boston's Governmentally-Involved Housing Protection: would establish rent controls in current expiring use buildings and buildings that have expired since 1994; this legislation was crafted by MAHT and would save buildings like Forbes in JP, which is at risk right now. Fact sheet here!
- H.1407/S.900 An Act to Prevent and Respond to Bullying of Elderly and Disabled Residents: would require property owners/managers to develop a building-specific Plan to prevent and remedy bullying; train residents and building staff; and address victims’ rights to seek relief and enforcement. Fact sheet here!
- H.1428 An Act to Codify the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program: would establish a state statute for the Mass Rental Voucher Program (MRVP), lower MRVP tenant rent share from 40% to 30% of household income, and adopt an MRVP payment standard similar to the federal Section 8 program.
- H.2890/S.1853 An Act Providing for Climate Change Adaptation Infrastructure and Affordable Housing Investments in the Commonwealth: would raise progressive revenue for affordable housing and climate change mitigation initiatives by doubling the current Deeds Exercise Tax from $4.56 per $1,000.00 to $9.12 per $1,000.00. Fact sheet here!